Here's a list of quotes I've gathered over the years. I haven't updated it in a long time, but...anyway, there are some ones here.
- Dave Winer - Successful programmers know how to ask questions, and they know how to ask the right question. You can't go forward until that happens. A programmer is a rigorous scientist determined to coax the truth out of the ones and zeros. There's the beauty. My pitch to programmers, which is far more revolutionary than any programming language or operating system can be, is to look for understanding where you find it, work with people you want to work with, and don't waste time with people who won't listen and aren't grounded in the truth.
- Brent Rector - Computer programming: a job where I get up in the morning with 2 things to do that day and go home at night with 5 of them still not done...
- Alfred V. Aho, Ravi Sethi, and Jeffrey D. Ullman - It is also tempting to compile several different languages into the same intermediate language and use a common back end for the different front ends, thereby obtaining several compilers for one machine. However, because of subtle differences in the viewpoints of different languages, there has been only limited success in this direction.
- Matt Young - We must seek our salvation in this world, because there is no other.
- Geir Olsen - Don't mess with it.
- Bertran Meyer - The ones who blossom are those who can rise beyond the tools of the moment in harmony with the progress of the discipline.
- Paul Marshall - 'Throw it against the wall and see if it sticks,' is a pretty good way of doing science. Creationism seems to be more along the lines of, 'Just nail it to the wall'.
- James Randi - Any god who demands that I stop thinking - after having equipped me with the means to do so - is a vindictive, cruel, vengeful, diety.
- Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. - The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
- Roger Miller - He made me an offer I couldn't understand.
- Todd Austin - If you aren't failing some of the time, you aren't trying hard enough.
- Bill Coppock - I once put myself on a beer and cabbage diet. I can vouch that I lost weight, friends and control of my lower bowel, often simultaneously.
- Isaac Asimov - If you read John Milton's Paradise Lost you will find that his Heaven is described as an eternal sing-along of praise to God. It is no wonder that one-third of the angels rebelled.
- Isaac Asimov - Nothing goes really to waste, if you're determined to learn.
- Isaac Asimov - To be a cynic about people works just the other way around and makes you incapable of enjoying the good things.
- Isaac Asimov - The whole world seems to live under the banner: 'Freedom is wonderful--but only for me.'
- Isaac Asimov - Knowledge is not only power; it is happiness, and being taught is the intellectual analog of being loved.
- Dick Brandon - Documentation is like sex; when it's good, it's very, very good, and when it's bad, it's better than nothing.
- Susan B. Anthony - I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires.
- Ned Batchelder - You learn something new every day, no matter how hard you try.
- Lao Tzu - To know that you do not know is the best. To pretend to know when you do not know is disease.
- Titus Livius - We fear things in proportion to our ignorance of them.
- Anonymous - 'Let There Be Light' - and they watered down the beer.
- Grady Booch - The primary task of the software development team is to engineer the illusion of simplicity.
- Unknown - Testing is the unregulated art of evaluating the invisible against the ambiguous so as to avoid the unthinkable.
- Jimi Hendrix - Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.
- Albert Einstein - Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
- Homer Simpson - You su-diddly-uck, Flanders!
- P. Z. Myers - Good science is always the enemy of lies.
- David Tisdale - By Creationist logic, if you haven't seen your parents having sex, you must be adopted.
- Lance Fortnow - We know what we know; we know what we don't know; sometime what we didn't know we now know but nothing we knew later becomes false.
- Jon Stewart - Basically, Intelligent Design is the idea that life on earth is too complex to have evolved without a guiding hand. We're not saying it's God, just someone with the basic skill set to create an entire universe.
- Mark Twain - Nature knows no indecencies; man invents them.
- Phil Plait - The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.
- Anonymous - God must have been a civil engineer, because only a civil engineer would run waste disposal pipes through a recreational area.
- Jon Stewart - You know what? It's OK. If Bill O'Reilly needs to have an enemy, needs to feel persecuted, you know what, here's my Kuanza gift to him. Are you ready? Alright. I'm your enemy. Make me your enemy. I, Jon Stewart, hate Christmas, Christians, Jews, morality - and I will not rest until every year families gather to spend December 25th together at Osama's Homo-Abortion Pot and Commie Jizporium.
- Jason Looney - I wonder if Gambler's Anonymous gives out shot glasses.
- Phil Whipps - Shut your face up!
- Anonymous - The difference between theory and practice is greater in practice than in theory.
- Russ Barnes - There's a lesson in all of this that really shouldn't ever have to be taught in the first place.
- Martin Wagner - When fantasy meets reality, it's like a squirrel on the highway meeting a semi.